The Staff and Student Workforce Development Interest Groups were formed in 2022 as part of the RCD Nexus project. During the Nexus Day event held July 10, 2022 in conjunction with the PEARC22 conference, there was an all-day workshop to address student and staff workforce development concerns. A summary of this workshop can be found here. It was quickly recognized that there was great overlap between the two groups and therefore they were combined to form a single interest group.
The focus of this interest group is to:
- Support current RCD Professionals
- Provide information for people looking to become a RCD Professional
- Provide information to institutions looking to establish workforce development programs
The group will be curating information from existing, successful programs in order to develop leading practices for
- Staff onboarding, training and development
- Student program development
In a recent interest group meeting, participant input resulted in the following word cloud.
Everyone is welcome to join the calls and the mailing lists. Navigate to one or both of the links below depending on your interest(s)and click “Ask to Join”. Please include your name, institution, group/division/etc., and job title in the “Reason for Joining” box.
- Staff Workforce Development
- Student Workforce Development
If you have difficulties subscribing please email email@example.com.
We are happy to announce the official launch of the CaRCC Staff and Student Workforce Development Interest Group calls! Calls will take place the second Tuesday of each month at 11am PT, 12pm MT, 1pm CT, 2pm ET and will generally alternate between staff and student topics. Our December call (12/13) will focus on student workforce development and the January call (1/10) will focus on staff issues – but all are welcome to join both calls, as there is a lot of overlap and common themes.
February 14th call (student) agenda
- Update on student program survey status
- Overview of Texas A&M student program
- Purdue student program handbook
March 14th call (staff) agenda
- Agenda TBD
Interest Group Co-Chairs
- Tom Cheatham – University of Utah (student-focused)
- Betsy Hillery – Purdue University (student-focused)
- Timothy Middelkoop – Internet2 (staff-focused)
- Claire Mizumoto – University of California San Diego (staff-focused)
- Anita Orendt – University of Utah (student-focused)